vendredi 28 octobre 2016

Unreleased version of The Bird

Jesse Johnson nous balance sur son mur Facebook une version inédite et complète de The Bird avec Prince en all instruments et Morris Day en lead vocal... et en plus avec son histoire !!



Prince & The Time "The Bird" Morris Day Jesse Johnson

Hola,
Here's the original studio version of "The Bird" performed by Prince (all instruments) Morris Day on Lead Vocals!

Prince called for me to come out to his pad late one Wednesday night in the cold of the winter around 11:30pm. He stated that the song I had given him, he reworked and Morris would be there as well. So I drive there in the middle of the night (cause I ain't stupid and I'm trying to get on) after arriving at P's crib, only then do I find out the song is already recorded. I had nothing to say, because the track I gave him was a joke compared to what he came up with. He absolutely killed the track, and all I could say was "Damn Dude"!

Now here's where the shit gets funny. Prince's Ampex 1100 24 track machine starts tripping and will not rewind, so ask me to rewind the machine by hand and Morris is laughing his ass off, and course I'm like "Man fuck that, you be better call Don Batts (his tech) to fix that shit!" Prince is now cracking up. We have to finish the song, so I go "WTF" and start rewinding the machine by hand. P could see what I was doing so I had a drum stick on the reel where the holes are rewinding the machine, by the time Prince sees what I'm doing, he yells "what f**k are you doing Jesse?" Rewinding this raggedy ass machine, I said, as he jumps up to come look at the tape to see if I damaged it in anyway he sort of trips over Morris who has this long ass q-tip type things that are made for sticking in a solution and cleaning your tape heads, so before he could reach me he's yelling Morris to stop using his tape head cleaners to clean his ears! Now I'm on floor, because Morris would always do that and Prince had told him a thousand times before not to! Needless to say we got the track finished and the rest is history.

The three of us together were always cracking the hell up, but it was really Morris who was absolutely funny as hell and he and Prince would have me crying with the interaction between the yow of them. They were absolutely great together and did some seriously great music together. For me as the "Original Outsider", I always felt fortunate to have been invited to be a part of the greatness.

Please enjoy the track.
LovePeace,
Jesse

1 commentaire: